The ending of a relationship can feel like a death. The pain, sadness and confusion can feel unbearable. It’s important to take time to grieve and let out your emotions. Time will heal all wounds, but you will have to go through the pain in order to heal. There are steps you can take to help the healing process, here are 5 ways to help heal from a relationship ending.
1. Talking about the relationship breakup can help you gain clarity and perspective about how you feel and what you want. Do not get stuck in the negative narrative but understand what was working and what wasn’t working in the relationship and learn from the experience.
2. Focus on yourself and give yourself some self care. Go for walks, get a massage, exercise, spend time with your pet, get out of bed, take a bath, get a haircut. Self care is important for your well being.
3. Remember who you were before the relationship. Think of the things you liked to do, the fun times you had, hobbies. Reflect on things you may have put to the side for the relationship and do them again. Find new goals and interests.
4. Get some paper and speed write about everything you are thinking and feeling. Just dump everything in your mind onto paper like you are writing to a stranger. No one will see or read this so get everything you are thinking and feeling out. When you are done you can burn it. There is a therapeutic element to burning rituals.
5. Spend time with friends. Go out to lunch, go shopping, sit around talking, laughing, crying. Friendships are unconditional and can bring support and lift your spirits.
Remember a breakup is an ending, it’s not a rejection.
Each person is special. You are a unique, strong, beautiful and talented person. You were special before the relationship, and nothing has changed that.